Request Info

Accordion Group

Open All Tabs
  • Who can I contact if I have questions about a specific program?

    Please contact the SEHD graduate studies general inquiries line at 305.284.SEHD (7343) or complete the SEHD Graduate Inquiry Form.

    Should you wish to directly contact the Program Director, send them a message at their email address listed here.

  • How do I apply?

    Applications are submitted online at this link.

  • Who should I ask to provide Letters of Recommendation?

    Letters of recommendation should speak on your academic strengths; therefore, it is appropriate to ask professors and advisors for recommendations. If you have not attended school in a while and are not in contact with past professors or advisors, letters of recommendation from employment supervisors may be accepted. There is no specific combination of the above that is required. Contact information for recommenders should be submitted online via the CollegeNet applications system. Recommenders will then be notified via email that you have requested a recommendation as part of the application requirement. Recommenders can complete the online questionnaire and attach a letter.

    Recommendations from friends are not suitable.

  • When is the deadline for applications?

    Some programs admit new graduate students on a rolling basis and others only for the fall semester. For Master of Science in Education (MSED) or Master of Science in Athletic Training (MSAT) application deadlines, visit the Masters Application Process webpage. For Doctor of Philosophy (PHD) or Doctor of Education (EDD) application deadlines, visit the Doctoral Application Process webpage.

  • What should be included in the Statement of Purpose and Professional Goals?

    The statement is the applicant’s opportunity to discuss why they chose to apply to one of the graduate programs in the School of Education and Human Development at UM, what they hope to accomplish while studying in the School, and what goals they would ultimately like to reach once they have completed their program of choice. This is also the place to discuss any special issues that might have had an impact on your academic career or test scores, and to share whatever makes you stand out as an outstanding candidate for the program. 

  • What is the minimum GPA for admission into your programs?

    A minimum GPA of 3.0.

  • What is the length of your programs?

    The length of the program may vary depending on the program.

    Master's degree programs may take an average of 1 to 3 years to complete.

    Doctoral degree programs may take an average of 3 to 5 years to complete depending on prior degree awards.

  • What is the GRE?

    The GRE is the Graduate Record Exam. Some programs require the GRE revised General Test which features questions in Verbal Reasoning, Quantitative Reasoning, and Analytical Writing. We look for a minimum combined verbal and quantitative score of 297. GRE test scores are only valid for five years; if you have taken the GRE earlier and your scores are older than five years, you will need to retake the GRE. You will know your verbal and quantitative scores immediately after completing the exam; however, for review of your application we need official GRE scores sent directly to us from ETS. For more information about the GRE, please visit their website

    Please note: The programs listed below do not require the GRE.

    • Applied Learning Sciences, M.S.Ed. & Ed.D
    • Applied Physiology, M.S.Ed
    • Athletic Training, M.S.AT
    • Community and Social Change, M.S.Ed
    • Community Well-Being, Ph.D
    • Counseling in Marriage and Family Therapy, M.S.Ed
    • Education and Social Change, M.S.Ed
    • Higher Education Leadership, Ed.D
    • Higher Education Administration, M.S.Ed
    • Mental Health Counseling, M.S.Ed
    • Special Education, M.S.Ed
    • Sport Administration, M.S.Ed

  • What is the institution code for the GRE, TOEFL, and IELTS?

    The institution code for the GRE, TOEFL, and IELTS is 5815.

  • What is the departmental code for the GRE and TOEFL?

    Applied Learning Sciences, M.S.Ed. & Ed.D.: 0702

    Applied Physiology, M.S.Ed.: 0629

    Athletic Training, M.S.AT.: 0629

    Community and Social Change, M.S.Ed.: 2005

    Community Well-Being, Ph.D.: 2005

    Counseling in Marriage and Family Therapy, M.S.Ed.: 2005

    Counseling Psychology, Ph.D.: 2005

    Education and Social Change, M.S.Ed.: 3601

    Exercise Physiology, Ph.D.: 0629

    Higher Education Leadership, Ed.D.: 3503

    Higher Education Administration, M.S.Ed.: 3503

    Language and Literacy Learning in Multilingual Settings, Ph.D.: 3902

    Mental Health Counseling, M.S.Ed.: 2005

    Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM), Ph.D.: 0799

    Special Education, M.S.Ed & Ph.D.: 3705

    Sport Administration, M.S.Ed.: 0629

    Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL), M.S.Ed.: 3907

  • What Graduate Programs does the School of Education and Human Development offer?

    Click here for a list of SEHD graduate programs.

  • What are your application requirements?

    You can find application requirements for all Master of Science in Education degree programs here.

    You can find application requirements for the Master of Science in Athletic Training degree programs here.

    You can find application requirements for the Doctoral degree programs here.

  • Are official transcripts required?

    Yes, official transcripts from all institutions attended are required. Even if courses that you took from one school appear on another school’s transcript, official transcripts from both schools must be received.

    We will not review a file until all transcripts are included in the application. Transcripts issued to students are not acceptable. Official transcripts must come directly from the institution.

    All international transcripts are to be evaluated by an international credentialing evaluation service. SEHD applicants have used SpanTranJosef Silny and Associates, Inc. and World Education Services, Inc. Click here to see additional university approved international credential evaluation services.

    International applicants should also visit our international applicant’s website for all documents requirements. We request international students to apply and submit all transcripts early for timely decision-making so that there is sufficient time for paperwork related to obtaining a visa if the student is admitted.

    Send electronic transcript (eScripts) to:


    Mail official transcripts to:

    Graduate Admissions Office

    1507 Levante Avenue

    Suite 311

    Coral Gables, FL 33146

  • Who should I contact for questions related to my application status and process?

    Contact the Office of Graduate Admissions Office at 305.284.2167 or email at soegradadmissions@miami.edu.

  • Contact information for the Graduate Admissions Office:

    Graduate Admissions Office


    Direct line: 305-284-2167

    Main line: 305-284-2102

    Fax: 305-284-9395

    URL: https://www.edu.miami.edu/admission/graduate/index.html

  • Where do I send application materials?

    Graduate Admissions Office

    School of Education and Human Development


    1507 Levante Avenue

    Suite 311

    Coral Gables, FL 33146

  • What is the cost of tuition?

    Follow the link to view graduate tuition and fees.

    International students who are accepted into the graduate programs will be required to submit an original bank letter of financial stability in the amount to cover all expenses for the first year of study.

  • Where can I find information about financial assistance?

    Please visit the Office of Graduate Professional Financial Assistance website for information on types of loans and how to apply for aid.

    Phone: 305-284-6000

    Email: gradprof.finaid@miami.edu

  • What are the English proficiency requirements?

    International applicants are required to submit official English proficiency exam scores. We accept the TOEFL and IELTS. We look for a minimum of 80 on the TOEFL and 6.5 for the IELTS. These scores are valid only for two years; if you have taken the test earlier and your scores are older than two years, you will need to retake the test. For more information regarding the TOEFL, please visit this link. For more information regarding the IELTS, please visit this link.

    International students who have received a college degree from a U.S. institution are exempt from taking the TOEFL or IELTS. International students whose first language is English may be exempt from taking the TOEFL or IELTS. Studying English at a U.S. institution is not necessarily sufficient to waive the TOEFL or IELTS requirement.

    Applicants holding an undergraduate or graduate degree from an academic institution within the United States or one of the following English-speaking countries are not required to take the TOEFL/IELTS examination:

    • Antigua and Barbuda
    • Australia
    • The Bahamas
    • Barbados
    • Belize
    • Canada (except Quebec)
    • Dominica
    • Grenada
    • Guyana
    • Ireland
    • Jamaica
    • New Zealand
    • Kitts and Nevis
    • Lucia
    • Vincent and the Grenadines
    • Trinidad and Tobago
    • United Kingdom

  • Do you offer part-time programs?

    Most of our master degree programs allow students to take classes on a part-time basis. The doctoral program is only for full-time students.

  • Do you offer online programs?

    Online graduate programs are only offered in Sport Administration (MSED) and Applied Learning Sciences (MSED & EDD)

  • Can I transfer credits to your master’s programs?

    Students can transfer up to 6 credits into a 30-credit program and up to 9 credits into a 36-credit program, but the following conditions will apply:

    • Credits with grades of “B-” or less cannot be transferred.
    • Credits for courses over 6 years old, or taken by extension, cannot be transferred.
    • Credits that have been counted toward another degree cannot be transferred.

    In addition, official transcripts must be submitted to transfer credits, and transferred credits will not be calculated into the University of Miami GPA.

    Please visit the UM Academic Bulletin here to access the Transfer Credit policy for Enrolled UM Graduate Students 

  • When is the New Graduate Student Orientation?

    University of Miami School of Education and Human Development New Graduate Student Online Orientation

    The SEHD online orientation is required and is accessible through the Blackboard platform starting in August. For additional orientation information, please contact the Office of Graduate Studies at 305.284.2102 for assistance.

    University of Miami Graduate School Orientation

    For information regarding the University of Miami Graduate School Orientation please visit their website here.

    University of Miami International Student & Scholar Services

    For information regarding the University of Miami International Student & Scholar Services please visit their website here.